Monday 19 September 2011

Haiku! Gesundheit!

Believe it or not, I have never, ever, not even once, written a haiku.

I have no explanation for this gaping lacuna in my creative repertoir.  Maybe I thought it was too hard or something, I dunno.

Anyhow, I've had a go at rectifying this serious deficiency.  Now, I know that to some people, the allure of the haiku has been sadly diminished by its over-use, but it is such a neat little form.  I imagine a good haiku should be like one of those brush paintings where, with but a few strokes, a tiny perfect image is created.  I particularly like haiku where the last line contains a little surprise twist.

I doubt that these are strictly perfect in their structure, but here goes.  I present for you my working day - in haiku.

Sardines close-packed
Blue box enfolding
Bus overcrowded

Sky empty without
Head empty within
404 Page not found

A winding path
A splash of carp
Panini bounty accepted

Wires hum with music
Tinny seconds tick by
Your Chairman has not arrived.

Sinking autumn sun
Blushing leaves drifting
Car park deserted

Happy Monday everyone!

5 comments:

  1. This

    Sky empty without
    Head empty within
    404 Page not found

    is pretty close to genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Titus - Thanks, I think it's a bit similar to one of the ones circulating round the interwebs, but I still kind of like it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are great, but I can't help you hadn't mentioned 404 Page not found. Gives me nightmares. Heh. Look - I got it even today: http://www.balicompany.com/collections.asp?col=28&cat=1

    ReplyDelete
  4. i have yet to fathom exactly how haiku works, so can't comment on whether they have the right count of pronouns or whatever - but they are very, very good

    I like this one best:
    Wires hum with music
    Tinny seconds tick by
    Your Chairman has not arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bug - 404 errors are annoying. Mind you, some webmasters make an effort to put witty messages on them and there are websites devoted to cataloguing these - how self-referential is that?

    DFTP - Thanks, I quite like that one myself. Of course, it should read: your chairPERSON has not arrived, to be totally accurate.

    ReplyDelete

Without your comments, I am but a wave without a shore...