Sunday 27 June 2010

Saturday Wordzzle 115

More Wordzzling fun.  I found the mini challenge quite straightforward this week, but the 10-worder was a toughie.  If you fancy a go at this, or want to see other peoples' offerings, go here.

The mini (eeeeek a mouse!, span, spurn, choose me, geese)

Erica stared out of the window. At the front of the classroom, Mrs Span was droning on and on about how somebody-or-other in some Shakespeare play planned to spurn the amorous advances of somebody-or-other else. It was all so boring. Overhead, a ‘V’ of geese was winging its way to somewhere – somewhere well away from the classroom, the Shakespeare and Mrs Span. If only I could be up there with them, she thought, I could be sailing the wide sky, free as a bird. Suddenly, she found herself looking down on the world from a great height; cars, people, trees and buildings all slipped by beneath the reassuring beat of her strong wings. Ahead of her, she could see the silhouette of the lead goose against the white of the sky. How wonderful of him to choose me, she thought, how marvellous that he should allow me to fly with him. The lead goose turned his head and rolled a beady black eye towards Erica. He opened his beak. This is it, she thought, he’s going to impart some pearl of goose wisdom. Before the goose could utter a syllable, however, the air was split by a piercing shriek. “Eeek, a mouse!” screeched Mrs Span, jumping up onto a chair. Erica sighed, she was back in the classroom once more, but at least the Shakespeare was forgotten for the moment.

The 10-Worder (ear phones, sleeping, honest to goodness, lawn mower, cinnamon, matches, antibiotics, congregation, flower pot, cheese)

New to Harold? The summary is here.

It was full daylight now and Box was pacing agitatedly up and down the living room. Even though it was still early, the heat was building up. Through the French doors that he had thrown open, the angry buzz of a neighbour’s lawn mover started up.

“Zeus’s beard,” he said, irritated, “It’s not even six-thirty. The only ones who’ll be sleeping through that racket are people who wear earphones to bed. Where are those agents?”

Harold glanced at his phone again just in case, but there were no missed calls and no new messages.

“I’m sure they’ll be here as soon as they can,” he said, “What are we going to do when they get here anyway?”

“To be honest, I’m not sure yet,” Box replied, “From what you and the others have told me, it looks like someone’s trying to get Project Dynamo up and running again. The thing is, if it’s not OGS - who have an obvious motive to get rid of demons at least - then who is it and why?”

“And how, don’t forget how.” Said Harold, “Demons like Baron Samedi aren’t that easy to overcome. Even if Dynamo is working somehow and Enigma – “

“Enigma?” Box gave Harold a quizzical look.

“It was quicker to say than ‘our mystery adversary’ all the time,” grinned Harold, “Personally, I think it’s a bit obvious and cliché, we should really have gone for something like the Congregation or something spooky like that. Point is: having located one of us, it’s not a simple matter to get the upper hand. Demons who’ve been on the Brightside as long as Samedi and co – and angels like Illyriel - are practised in exercising their various powers. You were an agent once, you know this stuff.”

“Yeah,” Box flopped into a chair, “Binding would work, of course, if you were quick enough - and the demon couldn’t get away before you finished the words.”

“Tell me about it,” said Harold ruefully, remembering the unpleasant barbed-wire prickling sensation of Mercury’s Binding.

Box raised an eyebrow. “You’re Bound?” He snacked his hand against his forehead, “Of course! So that’s why you’ve been helping OGS. I should have realised. Honest to goodness, if I were any dumber, I’d lose a battle of wits with a flower pot. Getting careless and stupid in my old age is what I am. Here’s me treating you like one of the team and all the time -”

“But, I’m not Bound,” interrupted Harold.

“What?” Box’s face was a picture of disbelief. Demons helping out? This was new.

“I’m helping of my own free will.” Harold went on. And the moon is made of green cheese, his inner voice finished for him. “Well, sort of, anyway. Look, the Basement and the Penthouse have come to an arrangement of sorts – until this is over at least, and I’m sort of assisting OGS.”

“I see.” Box pursed his lips, “Well, there’s a thing. There’s a thing indeed.” He lapsed into a thoughtful silence as he paced.

Harold stuck his hands into the pockets of his borrowed leather jacket and was surprised to discover they were not empty. Carefully, he withdrew the items and laid them on the coffee table – a box of matches, some cinnamon tic-tacs and a small bottle of antibiotics. Harold checked to make sure that no other personal property of the jacket’s real owner remained – it was only polite after all.

His phone beeped. He snatched it up quickly and read the message.

“It’s Othello, “ he said, “They’re on their way.”

5 comments:

  1. Wonderful as always! I loved your escape from class mini and I always adore Harold's adventures. You work the words in so smoothly that it feels like they would have belonged there anyway.

    I think Harold is a book. Look forward to the day he gets published.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought for sure that Erica had fallen asleep LOL. That was some powerful daydreaming. I was a prolific daydreamer - in 1st grade my teacher talked with my mom about what to do & they agreed that she should slap the palm of my hand with a ruler the next time I was "absent" from class. Apparently they both cried when she had to use the ruler. I'm not sure it really worked either!

    As usual I enjoyed Harold a lot - I thought you did a great job with the words.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Raven - You-re very kind, thank you. Once I've finished Harold in this form, I might well go back and see if I can make something of him.

    @Bug - I daydreamed in school too although no-one slapped me for it. I still do so in meetings sometimes, which has led to a few embarrassing moments when my opinion has been asked about something I stopped listening to about 10 minutes before. Thanks for the encouragement.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Both of these are extraordinary
    I love the second one the tension the mystery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. but I prefer a first one, don't know why. But you right - both of them are sp wonderful

    ReplyDelete

Without your comments, I am but a wave without a shore...