Wednesday 18 April 2012

Blessed Are the Meek

Recently, I was asked to write a short meditation on one of the Beatitudes.  This was the best I could do, cynic that I am.

Blessed Are the Meek

Blessed, you say. 

Blessed?

Blessed, because I stand aside while others get their way?
Blessed, because I put their needs first?
Blessed, because I can’t say ‘no’?
Blessed, because I don’t blow my own trumpet

Even though I do have a few good tunes?

Blessed are the doormats, for they shall be trodden on.

I just hope the Earth is worth it.

7 comments:

  1. Paul Getty is thought to have said “The meek shall inherit the earth, but not the mineral rights.”
    The translation of this beatitude into English does lay itself open to everything you say. I've just googled it and found that they say the original Greek word means not what we think of as meek, but the exercise of power without harshness. So, I suppose, in this sense, Gandhi would qualify as meek.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, chaps. Finally getting back from my blah-cation. I do like Dominic's definition of meekness - much to be preferred, i think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wouldn't want the earth to be honest - too much bother. Just think about all the ironing and hoovering for a start

    and think of all the paperwork.

    Good post though

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gaga ahhhh!!, I thought I'd managed to leave the beautitudes behind me in my dark catholic schooled past... Mind you, I would have preferred the religion if it was worded more like your version :) hope alls well in argent land, I've been a very bad blogger of late... Too much stuff!!! Lol.

    ReplyDelete

Without your comments, I am but a wave without a shore...